Sunday, January 24, 2010

I am so sore!

This week it was time to shake up the routine a bit. My usual alternation of biking, weight-lifting, ellipticalling, and occasional running was broken up by a pilates class tuesday and a boot camp class on thursday. And wow but these classes kicked my butt! Its a funny thing exercise... the reward for success (short-term at least) is only aches and pains.

My goal all these years has never specifically been to lose weight; my goals have always been measured in clothing sizes rather than numbers on a scale. More generally i've just always been committed to 'being healthier every day'. And its a good thing, because while i have gotten smaller, i have gotten healthier, and i have lost some weight - the weight has not been very compelling in the short term. Sure its nice to say, i have lost x amount of weight in the last dozen or so years, but less exciting is to think back one year ago, one month ago, or even one week ago and measure my success by numbers gained or lost.

To any and all out there looking for their own health-related goals i would say this - find out what you really want and go for it. But beware marking your journey by something as potentially disappointing as your weight. In my opinion the real success is to be happy, healthy, and wise - and bit more of all of these each day of your life. And for me this includes being sore, trying new things, and getting my butt kicked into shape by a slightly psychotic boot camp instructor every once in a while. Find your bliss.
~middle sister

No comments:

Post a Comment