Monday, April 5, 2010

I don't quit; I just start again

Yeah, it's been pretty quiet from this quarter lately. I made some bad choices and allowed stress to steal my commitment to exercise and healthy eating. It's pretty silly, I know. But I think we all do the same thing over and over throughout our lives. I remember a period of time when I walked up to Ayers School every morning, stretching at the bars, exercising my arms as I walked the track. Then, there was the year-long routine with Mike at the gym. When we moved to TN, I worked out about three times a week and walked regularly. But each routine was broken by change and stress and, essentially, I quit.

Every time I start up again, I swear that I will NEVER stop. I hate the start-up pain. My muscles and my stomach both complain when I begin to do the right things for them. But, pretty soon, they come into line. Maybe I just need to grab myself by the neck when I'm tempted to "quit" and keep moving, even after a day or two off.

I get a daily email from No Excuses Workout, which I joined awhile back. Here's today's note:

" 90% of Failure is from Quitting!
Most of the time when people start an exercise program, they are probably very close to starting to be successful when they quit.

There are many reasons why people quit and fail in their attempt to lose weight and/or get fit. But I think the #1 reason is the person’s attitude. If you stay positive, be realistic about your results, roll with the punches (things often go wrong), focus on your long-term goals and take it one day at a time, then you are going to be successful!

But if you are negative (everything is a big deal) and keep beating yourself up about workouts you missed, weight you did not lose, overeating, etc., then you are setting yourself up for failure.

You deserve to feel good about yourself, to have tons of energy and to be health! So focus on having a positive attitude and the next time the little voice in your head tries to drag you down and talk you into failing, fight back by focusing on staying positive and know that 90% of Failure is from Quitting! Never give up and keep fighting – You are worth it! " Jonathan Roche

Jonathan does sell a program, which I didn't buy, but his encouraging words very often hit the mark for me. Here's the website: http://www.noexcusesworkouts.com/
Now, I'm off to get started again.

1 comment: